Thursday, June 24, 2010

Blooms and Butterflies...and more

This past Monday our group got together for another outing with the kiddos. We went to the Franklin Park Conservatory to catch the Blooms and Butterflies exhibit that is leaving at the beginning of July.



We started our day with a visit through some plants. The rooms were HOT HOT HOT but there were some interesting things to look at. I wish I had taken more pictures of the bonsai trees we saw. They were small, but over 50 years old. Pretty cool stuff.

Then we headed over to a Glass Blowing Demonstration. Now that was pretty cool...well, it was actually pretty hot, but really COOL to watch! It amazes me what they can do to make such beautiful objects. A bit of history copied from Wikipedia...judge the accuracy yourself, says that:

Glassblowing is a glass forming technique which was invented by the Phoenicians at approximately 50 BC somewhere along the Syro-Palestinian coast.

The kids were pretty engaged in the process for the most part, and I hope they did learn something.






Then we had some lunch inside the conservatory....too hot to eat outside...to wait for the Blooms and Butterflies exhibit to open.

Once we got to the exhibit, the kids LIT UP! They were so excited and SO determined to hold a butterfly. I was able to get a picture of each kid holding a butterfly. Precious!







And, we got a picture of two butterflies getting frisky (wink wink nudge nudge).


I wish I had taken more pictures. Here is one of the beautiful Chihuly glass displayed throughout the conservatory.





If you have a chance to head that way...get there!! Peaceful and Beautiful!!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a nice way to spend a day! Sending hugs!

Jen said...

Josh
I would love to be included but I am not sure I know what all to do.
Could you help?